I let my daughter use Apps on my iPad sparingly – and only Apps that I think are real stand outs make the cut in our house! Although I had heard of Captain McFinn before (and his anti- Bullying Pledge), I had no idea what to expect from the Captain McFinn Swim and Play App before starting this review.
Spoiler alert: I am so impressed. It’s easily the neatest App I’ve ever seen aimed at kids! Why do I love this App so much?
The 3 Things I love about Captain McFinn Swim and Play App the Most:
- First and foremost, I never get over how cool it is that the App features LIVE HOSTS! The hosts are adorable and spend lot’s of time talking to the kids by name! My daughter couldn’t stop smiling when a host would tell her good job!
- The focus of the challenges are based around social skills and being good citizens of the world! I loved how challenges are full of opportunity for kids to clap for others and their progress. My daughter loved being a cheerleader for everyone playing – and I loved the generosity of spirit it was teaching her!
- The animation, videos, music – it’s all top notch! We’ve started singing the Captain McFinn theme song all around the house! It’s a real ear-worm! In a good way 😉
Would you like an in-depth look at this App and how it works?
Check out this 4 minute video review!
Captain McFinn Swim & Play is the first-ever children’s app, aimed at kids ages 3-5, that
allows the users to truly interact and communicate back with a live host, who can praise
the child’s accomplishments in the game and even call players out by name! It’s really pretty incredible!
- Swim & Play allows children and their parents to touch content in a way never before done – and all in a secure setting alongside their friends.
- The host helps the parent and child navigate through an interactive experience, learning important pro-social life lessons, such as kindness and sharing, in a fun and engaging way.
- The iPad app, available from the Apple iTunes Store, is based on the popular Captain McFinn storybook character who lives in the undersea world of Sand Dusty Reef with his friends.
- The Captain McFinn Swim & Play app is available using a subscription model. The freemium subscription model offers 10 minutes of free play at the start of the game, with subscription tiers of 1-month, 3-month and 6-month periods. The pricing is $4.59, $3.59 and $2.59 per month, respectively.
Some things to Think about:
- Captain McFinn #SwimAndPlay is only available for play on iPad devices
- You Must have a Wi-Fi connection
- The Best interactive experience with live hosts occur between 7a-7p PST.
Wondering if Live Hosts can see you or your child?
The app complies with all COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) safety standards, so
although parents/children can see the host, the host cannot see them. Through proprietary
technology, the host reacts to prompts, responses and creations by the child and texts from the
parent (through a secure chat box) to make the interactive experience truly customized!
For me Captain McFinn Swim and Play, is all the best parts of technology for children. It’s educational, it encourages teamwork, its exciting – and it’s safe. I love it. If you are looking for an interactive App for your child, I definitely think this one deserves a look!