Cinnamon,cloves, allspice – it’s what the holidays taste like. And that is one reason that the classic cocktail, the Tom and Jerry has been popular around the United States since the 19th and 20th century.
~How to Make a Tom and Jerry~
Yields: 4/5 Cocktails
- 4 eggs (egg yolks and whites separated)
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 ounce spiced rum
- 1 ounce brandy
- Hot water (or Hot milk for extra creaminess)
- Grated nutmeg for garnish
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, and beat them separately.
- Add Cinnamon, Allspice, Ground Cloves & Vanilla extract to egg yolk mixture.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the spiced yolk mixture. Place into a Irish coffee glass/mug.
- Add the spiced rum, and brandy.
- Fill hot water, or very hot milk if preferred.
- Stir well. Stir some more.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.
- Choose good quality fresh eggs. I’m using Goldrich Eggs, and their deep golden colored #GoldrichYolk really makes the Tom and Jerry batter a beautiful color! They also taste great.
- Make sure to mix your drink really, really well before serving. Let all the spices get a good swirl in your glass!
- Be sure to use very hot water or milk, that will make sure the drink is optimum temperature when it gets to your lips!
Want a visual? Check out this 2 minute video that shows you how simple a Tom and Jerry really is to make….
There you have it. A classic bit of Americana – the holiday drink that ruled the States during the 19th and 20th century. Every mouthful of it’s frothy goodness will take you to a time gone by. Happy Holidays from my family to yours!
I participated in an Influencer Program on behalf of AcornInfluence for Goldrich. I received compensation to facilitate my shopping trip, and to thank me for participating. All opinions are my own.