Thanksgiving is often a time when families get together, and this salt dough craft is a great activity for the kids! Plus, it’s a great keepsake for the adults in the family to treasure for years to come!
But the very best part of this craft- is that it uses a Salt Dough Recipe that cooks in the microwave, instead of the oven!
No long hours baking in the oven!
Ingredients For Microwave Salt Dough:
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water (you may need to add a bit more)
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
For the Turkey Keepsake:
- Cut a small piece of dough, roll it out into a circle and flatten to about 1/2 inch (do this on wax or parchment paper).
- For children old enough to hold their hand still- trim around the fingers with a butter knife, remove excess dough and lift hand carefully.
- If you have a squirmy toddler, press their hand into the dough circle, lift and then trim the outline.
- Now, the best part! Instead of baking these in your oven for 2-3 hrs, microwave them!
Leave the dough right on the parchment paper and microwave for 10 seconds. Microwave again for 10 seconds, then on the 3rd round, up the time to 20 seconds. Continue to microwave for 20 seconds at a time until the dough feels dry and is hardening
NOTE* The purpose of microwaving the dough starting on 10 seconds is this prevents any bubbling or crusting before the dough starts to dry out.
Also, you will know the dough is drying out as it will be changing colors.