A craft-phobic reader recently asked me if making homemade play dough is really worth the time, and wasn’t it just easier to buy play doh? Well, I don’t have anything against store bought play doh- we own lots of it! But making your own play dough is more fun, more customizable – and plain cheaper!
But until you make your own play doh, it’s hard to believe just how cheap & easy it really is!
So for all you visual learners – here is a 2 minute video of exactly how I make our play doh, and also a couple of the tips and tricks I like to use when making it!
This is the basic natural play dough recipe I like the most.
Some fun variations you can make to the basic recipe:
- Use different sugar free kool aid packs to add color and smell to the natural play dough recipe!
- Have a child that needs to wind down, play with and knead play dough with a lavender or other calming scent before bed or nap!
- Use neon food dye for extreme colors!
- Use glitter in the dough for sparkle!
- Combine several color doughs to make rainbow or tie dye!
- Use glow in the dark glitter for glowing dough!
- Make theme play dough for holidays or home school lessons!
Do you do anything fun with play dough? Tell me about it!