If you ask my daughter what her favorite holiday is, she will tell you it’s a tie! She loves Christmas and St. Patrick’s Day the most! And I think one of the reasons that St.Patrick’s Day is so appealing to her is this Shamrock Shake Pie – and that we try really hard to make St. Patrick’s Day a kid friendly celebration. Growing up myself, one of the only parts of St. Patrick’s Day a kid could partake in, was the annual pilgrimage to buy a Shamrock Shake from the Golden Arches! We would drive around until we found one! This recipe is a really fun homage to those minty retro Shamrock Shakes of bygone years!
And best yet, this Shamrock Shake Pie Recipe is no bake! So kids can easily help whip these mini Shamrock Shake Pies up.
~ How to make Shamrock Shake Pie Mini Tarts ~
First you will want to gather all the supplies for your Shamrock Shake Pie mini Tarts!
– Instant Vanilla Pudding, one large package (family size)
– Whole Milk (around 3 cups, per vanilla package directions)
– Cool Whip
– Mint Extract (plain mint, not peppermint)
– Mini Graham Cracker Crust Tart Shells
– Green food coloring (Neon Green is best)
– Maraschino Cherries.
– Can of Redi Whip (or your favorite whip cream brand)
Now you are ready to put together this yummy retro goodness!
1. Prepare the vanilla instant pudding mix according to the package directions. In most cases, you will prepare the package with 2.5- 3 cups of cold milk (cold is key!). Follow the pudding package directions to be sure you get the right consistency. There is no need to chill further when you’re done. You will do that – when you chill the prepared pies.
2. Once your pudding is made, add in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of mint extract – depending on just how minty you like your Shamrock Shakes!
*TIP* You may want to start with a small amount of the mint extract, and then taste before adding the full teaspoon.
3. Stir in your cool whip. You will use one full, thawed container. Follow that up with 5-6 drops of green food coloring. Again, you can add more or less depending on how bright you want the pie filling to be. But I find that neon green coloring works a bit better than the darker forest green food coloring.
4. Scoop your Shamrock Shake Pie mixture into your pie shells. Place them in the refrigerator for about 5-6 hours or until they are firm and completely set.
5. Once you are ready to serve, remove the mini tart pies and top with a garnish of Redi Whip and a maraschino cherry! Enjoy your mini Shamrock Shake Pies!
Looking for other fun activities and recipes for St. Patrick’s Day? What about a luscious Baileys Irish Cream Mousse for the adults in your family? Or some easy and cute topsy turvy Irish Jello Cups? They are perfect for class parties too.
Need decorations? This leprechaun bottle craft is darling and a crowd pleaser! A great Irish themed main course can be this rustic best beef stew on pinterest, or a plate of rainbow pasta! Last but not least… you may want a green cocktail for the adults.
However you celebrate – wishing you a St. Patrick’s Day full of Craic! Slainte!