This is a great simple recipe for making non-toxic watercolor paints. It would also be a fun way to teach kids about what colors can be mixed – to create other colors. Super easy, and super cheap crafting idea!
Below you will find a short video I made showing you how to make the watercolors, and below that the written directions!
* Baking soda
* White vinegar
* Light corn syrup
* Half-dozen egg carton (or another container of your choice)
* Assorted food coloring 4-pack
Watercolor Paint Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, mix 4 tablespoons baking soda with 2 tablespoons vinegar until fizzing stops. Add 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Mix until a uniform consistency.
2. Pour the mixture into individual egg carton cups, filling each about a third to halfway.
3. Add five to 10 drops of food coloring to each cup, mixing in thoroughly, to reach desired colors. The more color you add the more vibrant.
4. Allow paints to set overnight. Use paints on watercolor paper with a wet paintbrush.
Have fun painting with your new watercolors!
From Body+Soul Magazine May 2010