I was recently given a complimentary Swedish massage courtesy of Massage Envy. And it got me thinking. Do people unwittingly ruin their massage by doing or not doing certain things? I think they do. So here is my list of the top five things that I think people do – to ruin their massage!
5 Ways to Ruin Your Massage
1. Not asking for a breast board if you’re chesty! I have to admit I only found out about these recently. But what a world of difference. A breast board is a soft board that goes on the table but under the sheet you lay on, basically with holes cut out where your breasts can rest while your on your tummy. It eliminates the pressure on your chest, and lets you really enjoy the back massage.
2. Not going pee before your massage! Don’t feel like you have to go? Go anyway. Nothing will ruin your massage faster than being halfway through it, and realizing you have to waste precious time getting re-dressed and running to the bathroom. Or worse, holding it and being able to focus on nothing but how much you need to pee, while you should be enjoying your massage!
3. Not letting your massage therapist know if something he or she is doing is hurts! If you need gentler pressure say so. If you just lay on the massage table cringing and saying curse words under your breath because you are in so much pain, that’s on you boo. Speak up! Also, be sure to fill out the health questionnaire in the beginning honestly, your therapist needs to know if you have something going on already causing you pain.
4. Not getting to your massage early enough! Yes, you will have paperwork to fill out, but that’s not why. You need at least a few minutes to get quiet, and start the process of relaxing. Massage Envy for instance has a relaxation room with beautiful spa music, and trickling water. It will help you already be in the frame of mind to enjoy your massage if you do some of the work of relaxing your muscles a bit before hand!
5. Not shaving! And for that matter, showering right before hand is great if you can do it. It warms up your muscles ahead of time, and you are sure to feel more relaxed if you know you are clean and fresh. Plus, those long languid massage strokes on your legs are sure to feel miles better for both you and the massage therapist without prickly hairs!
*Last minute Christmas Gift Idea*
Looking for a great last minute Christmas present? What about a gift certificate to Massage Envy? You can even print off the gift cards online, the night before Christmas! So no shipping time needed. Right now Massage Envy has a buy 3 massages – get 1 FREE deal!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary massage from Massage Envy, but all opinions are my own.