Aren’t Cardboard box costumes the best?
There always seem to be a mound of boxes laying around our garage, and this Hot Air Balloon Costume is the perfect use for them! Not only is this DIY costume super unique, it’s also very easy to make.
You Will Need:
- A Cardboard Box big enough for your pilot!
- An extra large Balloon (36 inch works perfectly.)
- Paint and paper bags to decorate the box.
- String or a Balloon Net.
Hot Air Balloon Costume Directions:
– Okay, you’re ready to get started. First push out the bottom of the cardboard box you’d like to use and the hot air balloon costume’s basket. You may want to use duct tape to re-inforce the inside if it feels too flimsy. I also painted the indie of our box black. Next paint the outside of your box in whatever way you’d like. We tried to mimic a basket weave look, and added a pennant made out of paper.
-Stuff to brown lunch sacks with newspaper, and attach to sides to act as sand weights for your hot air balloon.
– Your balloon is actually the only part of this costume that can be tricky. Be sure that you have a van or car that will fit your balloon once its been inflated. You can take it to almost any party of grocery store to be filled with helium. Most places will charge you about $6.00 to fill it. If you live close to a store that sells balloons, you may want to just walk it home.
– If you have no balloon net you will want to add strings to the bottom of the balloon and then attach it to 4 corners of the box. If you do have a net- you are set! Just attach strings to the side of the box in whatever configuration looks nice to you.
– Wallah! Your Hot Air Balloon Costume is ready to go!
My daughter also assures me when you’re done wearing the costume – it’s super fun to play with the Balloon and basket!
Pin it For Later! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/128704501828603371/
Other Costume Ideas:
Halloween Crafts & Snacks: