There’s just something about boats that just draws kids in! Perhaps, because boats are a symbol of freedom and adventure – every child I know is fascinated with them. This DIY Ship is both easy to make, and cheap! It uses products you are likely to have laying around your house, like a milk carton or K-Cups.
It even floats!
Floating Boat – Made from Recyclables
You will need:
- An empty, rinsed out Milk Carton.
- An empty, rinsed out K-Cup.
- A chopstick (or candy stick, sturdy straw, or twig).
- Optional – markers or paint to decorate the ship. You can also use fabric or laminated paper to help sails stand up to some splashing!
- Turn your carton on its side, creating a point at the front of what will be your ship. Cut the sides in a small slope, or into whatever shape you’d like your boat to have. Paint carton if you wish.
- Design and cut sails. Keep in mind the width of your boat carton.
- Glue your K-Cup down in the center of your milk carton.
- Cut a hole at the top and bottom of the sails and weave your chopstick or straw through the holes, to secure it.
- Decorate your boat! We went for a Pirate theme!
Our daughter is a big fan of the Disney movie – The Fairy Pirate. And we found that her small Disney Fairy figures fit perfectly into this milk carton Pirate Ship craft! If you have a Pirate, Fairy or Boat fan in your home – this craft is sure to capture their imagination! This would also be a really fun craft to try sailing at the beach, pool, or even in the bathtub!
This a three minute video, that walks you through the process of creating your Pirate ship! I hope you have fun crafting!