I adore things in miniature. Tiny food, tiny houses – I find them all so charming. And these tiny Strawberry Toadstool snacks look like they are straight out of a book of fairy tales! And it doesn’t hurt that this crowd pleasing recipe is both yummy – and visually arresting. You can almost imagine the fairy folk that might call these diminutive toadstools home!
And best yet – strawberry toadstools are simple to make, and call for only three ingredients from start to finish. So let’s get making this fun family project, or clever appetizer for a Fairy tale themed party!
How our family makes Strawberry Toadstools …
You Will Need:
- Strawberries of different sizes and shapes.
- Miniature marshmallows.
- Gel Icing
- Toothpicks to use as skewers.
Prep your Strawberries:
- Wash and dry your strawberries before moving on to any other step. They will need to be totally dry.
- You can use your strawberries with the green stem leaves on or off. I ended up liking to the look better with them off. If you do too, then cut the tops off before proceeding.
- Use your Icing gel at least an hour or two before you plan to handle your strawberries. That will let the icing firm up, and be less likely to drip once they are skewered onto your toothpick.
- Ice the strawberries while they are laying down, rather than standing up. This also gives icing a chance to firm up, and not run.
Assembling your Strawberry Toadstools:
- Once your strawberry tops have icing polka dots, and that icing has firmed up – you are ready to begin.
- Add one or two miniature marshmallows to your toothpick. I think it’s fun to vary the heights.
- Then choose a Strawberry top to attach to the top of your toothpick, with marshmallow stem already attached.
- You’re done! It’s that simple.
Tips for Displaying & Serving your Toadstools:
- Use Toothpicks that you have poked through decorative astro turf. It will give your toadstools a realistic look!
- A small patch of turf can be wedged into a Terracotta pot as a decorative serving idea.
- The longer your toothpicks are, the linger your stems can be. Varying heights adds interest.
- You could also serve on a plate, on a bed of edible greens for a more natural look.
- These would be adorable surrounding a birthday cake.
Looking for Other Fun Projects?
Build a Floating Pirate Ship out of Recyclables