It’s fun to dress like a character in a book, isn’t it?
So often schools around the country pick a day, when they ask students to come to school in a costume that represents their favorite literary hero or heroine! This year we are enjoying several novels by beloved children’s author Roald Dahl, including his book – Matilda.
My daughter thought it would be fun to dress as Matilda for a day, and I thought I’d share some easy ideas on dressing as this character. Not only is dressing as Matilda easy – you can go for several iconic outfit choices!
Some choices include the blue dress Matilda is often seen wearing on the classic cover illustration of the book, or the school uniform look that is perhaps more recognizable now, given the popularity of the Musical!
Since we are preparing to go see Matilda The Musical on Tour after we finish reading the book, that seemed like a fun costume choice for our version of Matilda!
Matilda Costume Ideas:
1. The uniform -If your house is anything like ours, you may have many of the things needed to make this costume already in your closet! In case you are missing any of them, here are a few resources for finding clothing similar to what Matilda wears during Matilda the Musical.
2. Hairspray – It might be fun to tease your Matilda’s hair, and make it look slept in and a little crazy. After all, Mr. & Mrs. Wormwood aren’t likely to be paying much attention to Matilda as she get’s ready for school!
3. Books – Matilda is a voracious reader in the book, and goes through multiple library books a week if not a day. Carrying around books is a great costume prop!
4. Newt/ Pretend Hair Dye Bottles – In the book, Matilda puts a newt on the nasty headmistress, and makes some mischief when tricking her father into using her mom’s hair dye. Either of those props would be great!
5. An impish grin – One of the most notable characteristics of Matilda in the book, is her ability to turn a situation around with a little bit of a naughty plan!
If you are interested in learning or studying more about Roald Dahl’s book Matilda, check out these other resources:
- Teacher’s Lesson plans on the BOOK Matilda.
- Teacher’s Lesson plans on the MUSICAL.
- Go see Matilda the Musical on Tour, or on Broadway.
- Listen to the Music and lyrics by Tim Minchin – based on the book.
- Watch the 2005 Movie version of Matilda.
- Read more about the author, Roald Dahl.
- Celebrate Roald Dahl Day – September 13th every year!