Our family is getting ready to embark on a Disney Vacation – and for the first time ever Disney is using MagicBands!
A MagicBand goes around your wrist and acts as your room key, your money, your meal pass and has your Fast Pass+ reservations on it. In short – your MagicBand is your everything! About 30 days before our trip we were able to customize our bands with a chosen color, but we thought it would be fun to be able to change the look of the band day by day.
You can buy CoverBands for your MagicBand at Disney World parks as well as resorts. But I wanted to try to save a little money, and make my own! They were dead easy to make!
Here is a step by step tutorial – along with the dimensions I used for both an adult band, and a child size MagicBand!
To Make your MagicBand Cover you will Need:
- A fabric of your choice. Good fabric choices include those with a little give, that breath. Remember you will be wearing it around your wrist so you wont want to pick something rough. I chose a 100% cotton blend camo fabric.
- You will need heat bond tape. You could certainly use the dimensions given here to sew your MagicBand Cover. But I find this no sew a cinch!
- You will need a measuring tape and scissors to cut your fabric to the correct dimension.
- If you are using heat bond, you will need a hot iron.
Before beginning you will need to decide if you are making a cover for an adult band or a child sized one. A child sized band is an adult band, with the grey surrounding part taken off. Cut your fabric 3 inches x 10.5 inches for an adult band. If you are making cover for a child’s band – cut your fabric 2 and 7/8 of an inch x 9 inches. I was making multiple covers for our family, so I found it helpful to cut out a template to trace.
Someone recently asked if these will fit the Magic Bands 2.0 that will be starting to roll out. Disney says the new bands will be similar to the old, but the face will come out 1/4 of an inch more. To make this band 2.0 ready you can add 1/4 of an inch of width, to make it easier to slide over the new bands. Otherwise you can use the dimensions as they are – knowing you will have a tighter fabric to band ratio. Your choice!
1. Iron your Fabric so it lays flat.
2. With your fabric pretty side down -fold up one of the narrow sides of the fabric on about a quarter of an inch. Then cut your Heat bond tape to fit inside that fold. My tape was just about the perfect size when I cut it the correct length, and then cut it again in half vertically. Do the same with the other narrow side. Use your iron to seal the flaps down.
3. With the pretty side of your fabric still down, fold just one of the long sides of your fabric about a 1/4 of an inch as well. Cut more heat bod to fit on top of that strip.
4. Bring the other side of the fabric over to the folded side with the heat bond and seal it – it will make a tube!
5. Let cool, and slide on your MagicBand!
Are you a visual learner? Here is a video showing just what I did…
Happy MagicBand Making!