Where do you go in Watkins Glen when you want more than just a good meal, you want a great meal? I would say, you are looking for Seneca Harbor Station. Right on the water, this restaurant has unparalleled views of Seneca Lake. Conveniently located in Watkins Glen, and on the southern tip of Seneca Lake – the location makes it an easy jumping off spot for lot’s of different adventures in the Finger Lakes Region. But it’s also, a destination in itself – and is the perfect spot to take a break and just savor the moment.
Our family felt at ease as soon as we entered Seneca Harbor Station. Greeted at the seating podium immediately, we were asked whether we’d prefer to sit inside, or outside on their outdoor porch. We loved the nautical elegance of the inside dinning rooms, but opted for outside since the weather so gorgeous!
Here are a few highlights from our meal…
Having been seated on the beautiful outdoor porch, my husband and I tried a glass of Chardonnay from a local Finger Lakes Winery and took in the scenery. Our awesome waitress was back in no time – and we decided to try a few dishes.
- For an Appetizer, my husband and I chose the Crab Cake, and Jumbo Shrimp. The jumbo Shrimp Cocktail features the Seneca Harbor’s signature cocktail sauce, and was perfectly chilled and satisfying! And the Crab cake – it deserves it’s own article. It was chock full of jumbo lump crab – more than any other crab cake I’ve ever tasted.
- Our family really appreciated that there was also a children’s menu available, and it featured several kid friendly favorites. Our eight year old chose the Grilled Cheese dinner and it was delivered to her in no time at all. The bread that the grilled cheese was melted over was extra thick – and my daughter loved that her meal had an elevated flair too.
- If you are also dinning with children, we suggest opting to sit on the beautiful outdoor porch (if weather permits). The outside seating had a slightly more relaxed atmosphere, and we felt totally comfortable eating with a kiddo there. Plus – our daughter loved watching the boats from our seats!
- My husband ordered the “Faroe Island Salmon w/Lobster Butter” and when I tasted it, I couldn’t believe how tender it was. The description in the menu said it was prepared with Tarragon and Brandy sauce, but the taste of the salmon was not overpowered in any way. A light and tasty meal!
- I ordered the “Filet Mignon Oscar” – topped w/lobster butter. My husband laughed when I ordered something with lobster butter as well, but when we compared dishes our two main courses were still so very different! My filet was perfectly cooked, and I loved the way the slightly salty butter complimented the tender meat. I loved the Filet Mignon Oscar – and absolutely recommend it.
- I’m shocked I’m going to say this, but do you know my favorite part of the whole meal? It was the Side of Sauteed Mushrooms! If I lived in Watkins Glen, I would stop by Seneca Harbor Station just to have those mushrooms on a weekly basis. I don’t know what they are sauteed in. Is it garlic, butter, herbs? All I know – is that those mushrooms are pure, perfect heaven.
- We finished our meal at Seneca Harbor Station with their Homemade Apple Crisp – and three spoons! This old Fashioned and timeless classic never gets old. And the cold ice cream went wonderfully with the sweet apple crisp.
- A very generous portion, we were glad we ordered just one to share among all of us. This dessert would pair beautifully with a cup of coffee, and a romantic date! Don’t overlook it. It’s simple flavors will take you back in time.
- We loved every single part of our meal at Seneca Harbor Station. This restaurant is the perfect place to go before or after hitting the Seneca Wine Trail, or going on a Captain Bill’s Cruise. In fact, we punctuated our meal by taking a cruise of the Captain Bill’s Stroller IV. We were able to board the vessel just steps from the Seneca Harbor Stations porch, making it the perfect stopping off location.
And as our cruise pulled out from Seneca Harbor, we watched as the restaurant we were just at got smaller in the distance. And as we watched it recede, we all pledged that we will absolutely dine there again the next time we are in Upstate New York. It was one of the best meals of our lives – and it will not soon be forgotten.
Update: Weeks later, still dreaming about those mushrooms. Must. Go. Back.
Many thanks to Seneca Harbor Station for an amazing meal.